Job: California Sanctuary Homes Organizer
February 1, 2018
Job Announcement: California Sanctuary Homes Organizer
Hand in Hand: The Domestic Employers Network (HIH) seeks a part-time CA Sanctuary Homes Organizer to join the California staff team.
The CA Sanctuary Homes Organizer will join the CA Lead Organizer as one of two staff in the state and will assist with organizing employers of nannies, housecleaners and homecare attendants to adopt and promote fair working conditions and to support campaigns focused on immigrant worker defense (Sanctuary Homes). The SH Organizer will play a lead role in the creation of “Sanctuary” Neighborhoods in the Bay Area, in developing relevant partnerships with community institutions, and in mobilizing domestic employers in support of worker and immigrant rights policy and advocacy campaigns (such as a clean DREAM Act).
The position is part-time, 20 hours per week, and includes paid vacation and paid sick time off. This position requires work in both San Francisco and the East Bay with some limited work in other parts of the Bay Area and limited travel to Southern California. Applicants should live within a realistic commute to both Oakland and San Francisco. Applications will be accepted until February 5th.
About Hand in Hand
Hand in Hand: The Domestic Employers Network is a national network of employers of domestic workers, our families and allies. We believe that dignified and respectful working conditions benefit domestic workers – nannies, housecleaners, home attendants and aides – and employers alike. We envision a future where people live in caring communities that recognize all of our interdependence. To get there, we support employers to improve their employment practices, and to collaborate with workers to change cultural norms and public policies that bring dignity and respect to domestic workers and all of our communities. HIH is a key partner of the National Domestic Workers Alliance (NDWA), which is led by Ai-jen Poo, winner of a 2015 MacArthur “genius” award and the California Domestic Workers Coalition. HIH websites include: www.domesticemployers.org www.mysanctuaryhome.us www.faircarepledge.org
Key Job Responsibilities
Organize domestic employers in the Bay Area to create three “Sanctuary” Neighborhoods
- Do weekly outreach, follow-up and one-to-ones to build a membership base of domestic employers
- Support members to hold Sanctuary Homes kitchen table conversations
- Help facilitate neighborhood-based planning meetings of employers in coordination with domestic worker partners and the CA Lead Organizer
- Maintain contact database
Educate domestic employers about their responsibilities and opportunities to be fair employers
- Schedule and lead workshops for domestic employers about being fair and supporting their workers
- Support the creation of new educational materials for domestic employers
- Implement public education campaigns in designated Sanctuary Neighborhoods
Manage Partnerships with Key Community Institutions
- Do outreach to and build relationships with key community institutions to reach domestic employers (such as libraries, churches, yoga studios etc)
Mobilize Employers (and Allies) in support of Immigrant Rights Policy/Advocacy Campaigns
- Organize local actions in support immigrant worker rights campaigns
- Help maintain CA Hand in Hand social media presence in support of these campaigns
Help with fundraising and donor relations, including:
- Assisting with grassroots donor cultivation and local fundraisers
- Assisting with thank you notes and keeping donor info updated on salesforce
- Prior experience with community or labor organizing
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Fluency in basic office computer software (Word, Excel) and strong proficiency in other essential platforms (Google docs, DropBox, Paypal)
- Experience working with diverse groups of people
- Self-starter who requires minimal supervision
- Some knowledge of or experience with workers’ rights, immigrant rights, women’s rights, domestic worker and/or caregiving field issues
- Experience working on policy campaigns or doing adult education
- Language proficiency in Spanish will be an added asset for any candidate
- Comfort and ability to learn new technology tools
If you’re interested please send a brief cover letter and resume to Lindsay Imai Hong at email@example.com. No phone inquiries please. Deadline Feb 5th, but applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Hand in Hand’s staff, volunteers and members come from a wide range of backgrounds in terms of class, race, ethnicity, gender identity, disability, etc. and we encourage applications from our diverse constituency of domestic employers and their families. As an equal opportunity employer we will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.