Here are the Hand in Hand’s guiding principles around offering paid time off:
- Provide full-time employees with at least two weeks of paid vacation and five paid sick days per year.
- Provide part-time employees sick days and paid vacation: one hour for every thirty hours worked.
- Any unused vacation should be paid out as additional pay when the worker leaves the job.
- Provide the standard eight paid government holidays or agreed upon holidays of the employee’s choice.
- Try to provide at least one month of paid family or medical leave, with guaranteed employment upon return.